We need to increase urban forests… sustainably and fast.
Around the world, forests are being cleared at an alarming rate. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), around 18 million acres of forest are destroyed each year. That’s one and half acres every second – or the equivalent of 20 football fields every minute. It’s a scary situation that has far reaching impacts for the environment, wildlife and humankind.
As tree canopy decreases, cities are becoming unbearably hot. The air is more polluted, public health is declining and power bills are at an all- time high. These are the impacts we feel and see – but the damage extends much further.
For example, did you know that deforestation contributes to 12% – 17% of annual global greenhouse emissions? Or that up to 28,000 species will be extinct within 25 years due to deforestation?
The solution to these problems? Increase urban forests. By helping urban foresters, architects, planners and developers grow healthy trees, Citygreen is making a difference to communities around the world.
“Citygreen has been instrumental in providing advanced and sustainable solutions for delivering large, healthy, beautiful trees in hard urban environments.”
–David Tooby, Urban Designer and Landscape Architect at King & Campbell
The environmental benefits of urban forests
It’s a fact that trees provide a huge range of environmental, health and economic benefits. Here are just a few:
- Tree canopies measurably reduce the urban heat island effect, which occurs when hard surfaces accumulate, store and release heat.
- Trees lower temperatures by providing shade and through evapotranspiration. Shaded areas can be 11–25°C cooler than unshaded surfaces.
- Trees reduce air pollutants by absorbing them via leaf stomata (the outer ‘skin’ layers on the leaf).
- Trees promote better health and reduce the rate of respiratory conditions –particularly industrialized cities.
- Trees reduce the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Currently,around 25% of carbon emissions from fossil fuels are stored by trees.
- Trees reduced energy costs. When placed correctly, they provide shade in summer, warmth in winter and windbreaks all year round.
- Trees are a critical part of our ecosystem and provide habitats for wildlife.
- Trees are proven to increase happiness and promote feelings of well being.
- Trees help establish a sense of place and add charm to urban communities.
Want another reason to love trees? Their ability to boost property values is a bonus for architects, planners and developers.
“Large trees in urban environments are a great investment in the future, providing the city with shade, seasonal colour, clean air and character.”
–Fraser Miller, Senior Landscape Architect at Rough and Milne Landscape Architects
Proven products, personal service
For over 16 years, Citygreen has been helping to make cities greener. As the world leaders in urban landscape technology, we work in all continents and all climates – and we guarantee success..
We understand that trees need optimum conditions to thrive in urban environments –and through years of research and development, we’ve created world-class products to help trees grow to their full potential.
Our patented Stratacell and Stratavault systems are the world’s strongest structural soil cells, supplying 92% of total soil volume for healthy root growth in any conditions. Made from 100% recycled polymers, they are built to withstand even the toughest climates while delivering maximum environmental benefit. Our product range also includes:
- Structural soil systems
- Root management systems
- Tree pit aeration and irrigation
- Tree protection
- Tree guying and ties Green wall systems
“Tree uptake has been 100% successful with the trees maturing quickly and establishing well”
– Jim Markin, Arborist from the City of Rossland
Working on a complex project or site?
No problem. We love a challenge. Our dedicated team of experts will work with you to devise a solution that suits your needs. Here are some of our recent projects that showcase our products and services
THE NORDIC MUSEUM IN SEATTLE
THE MONDO – CIVIC ART PRECINCT IN PENRITH
THE AVON PRECINCT IN CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
Get in touch
Want proven, sustainable urban landscape solutions that won’t cost the earth? We’d love to support your next project. Call 888-999-3990 (USA and Canada), or 1300 066 949(Australia),or contact us for an obligation-free consultation. We have offices and distributors around the world.